Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mirrodin Besieged: Phyrexia

Earlier on I posted my thoughts about the Mirran faction in the new Magic: The Gathering set, Mirrodin Besieged. Now, I will post my thoughts about the Phyrexian faction.

As stated in one of my previous blogs that I was against Phyrexian cards because of infect, which I think is a very unfair mechanic. But Phyrexia made a pretty big name for itself with the release of this set. Infect cards were pretty good to begin with, but now none the infect creatures (minus a few creatures) are too over powered. For example, Phyrexian Hydra is a 7/7 with infect for 5 mana. That would be completely broken, except for the fact that whenever it is dealt damage, you add a -1/-1 counter on it for every 1 damage. Or something like Phyrexian Vatmother, which gives it controler a poison counter every upkeep. Now, an example of an over powered infect card would be Blightsteel Colossus. I talked about him in one of my earlier blogs, and I'll repeat myself when I say that an 11/11 indestructable/infect is just amazing. Thankfully though it is a high casting card. But I'm sure some people will find out a way to get Blightsteel onto the battlefield quickly.

At the pre-release, black and green infect decks were very common (who would have thought?). Beating the infect decks are very difficult, because some of them are very quick, and since you only need ten poison counters to lose, if you can't have blockers or some burn spells, then you will lose very quickly.

Final outcome: As much as I dislike Phyrexia, I believe that the will prevail over Mirran, for Phyrexia is strong, especially now with Tezzeret on their side. The new set is supposed to either be called "Mirran Pure" or "New Phyrexia." They will be coming out in May, so only time will tell who wins.

We Will Endure.

Links were made possible by www.mtgfanatic.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment